Job Title: Front of House Administrator (Casual Cover)
Location: WHALE Arts Centre
Hours of Work: Ad-hoc basis. 8.50 am to 5.00pm, Mon-Fri. There may occasionally be work in the evenings or weekends.
Level of Pay: £9 per hour
Summary of Post
This is not a fixed term or short term post – we are looking for people with appropriate skills and experience who we can invite on an ad-hoc basis to cover the current Front of House Administrator when she is on annual leave, attending training or undertaking work away from Reception.
Based at WHALE Arts’ reception the Front of House Administrator (casual cover) will work at Reception. A range of duties are required within this role: be the first and central point of contact for public and internal communications; represent WHALE Arts appropriately and providing a high standard of customer service; carry out administrative duties on behalf of WHALE Arts and our tenants.
Main Activities and Key Responsibilities
Front of House:
- The first point of contact for visitors to the multi-organisation WHALE Arts Centre & community-led arts charity and social enterprise WHALE Arts and warmly greeting and orientating visitors, responding to telephone enquiries in a clear, informative manner.
- When on Front of House checking the WHALE Arts info@ email account. Responding to emails and directing enquiries to the correct contact.
- Communicating with tenants and partners to support visitors from all backgrounds with varied requirements.
- Maintaining registers and attendance records and databases.
- Ordering supplies and maintaining office and hire equipment.
- Carrying out franking and printing, copying, laminating as required.
- Updating the WHALE Arts’ website.
- Scheduling and posting content on social media.
- Updating mailing lists, supporting the creation of e-mail newsletters.
- Coordinating internal room bookings and external hires.
- Preparing spaces, equipment and supplies as required.
- Setting up AV as required.
- Occasionally liaising with external contractors.
- Accepting deliveries.
- Ordering supplies and ensuring spaces maintained to high standards.
- Quickly arranging repairs and resolving maintenance issues.
- Front of House Administrator (cover) may be a key holder.
- Excellent customer service skills including telephone skills, dealing with in person enquiries, assisting people with additional needs and occasionally dealing with challenging behaviour.
- Knowledge, understanding and skills in managing/curating social media platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and photosharing.
- Operating office equipment especially photocopier, franking machine, laminator.
- Competent with Microsoft Office programmes especially Word and Excel, e-mailing and internet.
- Ability to create and manage computer database systems.
- Ability to create and manage paper filing systems.
- High standard of written and spoken English.
- Basic understanding of Health and Safety issues in community spaces.
- Ability to work in a team and also self-motivate without supervision.
- Excellent timekeeping.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- An understanding of community arts.
- Knowledge of local area, community and services.
- Experience of working in a community organisation.
- Experience of dealing with trades/contractors.
- Experience of producing programmes, posters and flyers using Adobe Suite.
- Experience of building e-mailouts using mailchimp.
- Experience of distributing press releases and developing a press list.
Apply in writing or by email, enclosing/attaching:
- An up to date CV detailing relevant education and employment experience. No longer than two pages.
- A covering letter demonstrating how your skills meet the Essential and Desirable Skills criteria of the job description. No longer than one page.
- Details of two referees, including your most recent employer.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until 31st March 2019. We will contact interested individuals as they apply and invite them for a conversation rather than a formal interview.
The successful candidate will be appointed to the role subject to confirmation of PVG Scheme Membership.
Front of House Administrator
WHALE Arts Centre
30 Westburn Grove
0131 458 3267
About WHALE Arts
Since being set up by local people in 1992 WHALE Arts has firmly established itself as the cultural anchor organisation for Wester Hailes. As a community-led arts charity and social enterprise, WHALE Arts’ mission is to be the creative heart of a vibrant, thriving community.
WHALE acts as a conduit between our community and creative opportunities through the direct delivery of projects, programmes and events and by connecting our community with city and national cultural partners.
We are based in the purpose built WHALE Arts Centre – ‘The WHALE’ – a unique community asset that provides a range of high quality creative spaces for our community. ‘The WHALE’ operates as a social enterprise allowing us to generate income that supports our charitable work. Our social enterprises include the WHALE Pod, office, training and conference facilities.