Location: WHALE Arts Centre
Hours of Work: 14 hours per week (can be worked flexibly across two days or more)
Salary: £28,000 per annum pro rata
Deadline: Midday Thursday 13 December 2018
Download the Full Job Description
Summary of Post
The post holder will be responsible for overseeing and maintaining all aspects of WHALE Arts’ finance systems and procedures. They will work closely with the WHALE Chief Executive to provide Board finance information and with project budget holders to ensure effective finance controls are in place. They will be responsible for all transactional accounting in the finance systems (SAGE).
Main Activities and Key Responsibilities
- Maintain financial policies to ensure operational efficiency.
- Review financial paperwork and procedures on a periodic basis and make appropriate changes.
- Update financial systems and guidance for use by finance officer, budget holders and other staff as required.
- Review coding structure (chart of accounts) and implement in SAGE as required.
Planning & Reporting
- Assist in budget preparation.
- Prepare annual accounts to trial balance plus supporting schedules for charity
- accounts, fixed asset schedules, debtors and creditors.
- Prepare monthly management accounts as agreed with the Board.
- Perform financial analysis, reporting as required.
- Manage cash controls as well as maintain book keeping up-to-date.
- Carry out weekly input to the general and purchase ledgers.
- Complete monthly reconciliations and investigate any differences.
- Prepare and complete gift aid claims on behalf of WHALE.
- Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues.
- Prepare suggested monthly payment runs.
- Issue sales invoices.
- Implement credit control ensuring that invoices due are paid on time.
- Complete other finance tasks as requested.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may, from time-to-time, be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Advanced knowledge of SAGE including use of multiple departments.
- Good working knowledge of Excel.
- Experience of preparing budgets.
- Experience of preparing monthly management accounts.
- Experience of financial analysis and charity reporting.
- Experience of providing support to non-finance staff.
- Preparation of annual accounts to trial balance plus supporting schedules for charity accounts, fixed asset schedules, debtors and creditors.
- Excellent communicator.
- Experience of working with a range of internal and external stakeholders to manage expectations (funders, staff, board, independent examiners).
- Knowledge of charitable sector and charity accounting (FRS 102 and Charity SORP).
- Relevant accountancy qualification or two years’ experience in charity finance.
About WHALE Arts
Since being set up by local people in 1992 WHALE Arts has firmly established itself as the cultural anchor organisation for Wester Hailes. As a community-led arts charity and social enterprise, WHALE Arts’ mission is to be the creative heart of a vibrant, thriving community.
WHALE acts as a conduit between our community and creative opportunities through the direct delivery of projects, programmes and events and by connecting our community with city and national cultural partners.
We are based in the purpose built WHALE Arts Centre, a unique community asset that provides a range of high quality creative spaces for our community. The WHALE Arts Centre operates as a social enterprise allowing us to generate income that supports our charitable work. Our social enterprises include a co-working space, office rentals, training and conference facilities.
Apply by email, enclosing/attaching:
- An up to date CV detailing relevant education and employment experience. No longer than two pages.
- A covering letter demonstrating how your skills meet the Essential Skills criteria of the job description. No longer than one page.
- Details of two referees, including your most recent employer.
Applications should arrive by email to email@example.com no later than Midday Thursday 13 December. Late applications will not be considered.
Interviews will take place at WHALE Arts on Thursday 20th December. Applicants progressing to interview stage will be notified by 5pm on Monday 17th December.
We are looking to appoint someone who can on, or start as soon as possible after, 7th January 2019.
The successful candidate will be appointed to the role subject to confirmation of PVG Scheme Membership.
To discuss any aspects of the post prior to application please contact:
Leah Black, Chief Executive, WHALE Arts, 30 Westburn Grove, Edinburgh EH14 2SA, 0131 458 3267, firstname.lastname@example.org
Find Out More