Job title: Operations and Marketing Coordinator
Accountable to: Enterprise and Facilities Manager
Location: WHALE Arts Centre [during COVID-19 there are adjustments – more details below]
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week. Core reception hours are: 8.50 am to 5.00pm, 2 days per week at reception and 3 days per week based in the office. There will be occasional work in the evenings or weekends.
Level of Pay: £19,000 per annum (8 month contract July 2020 – March 2021 we intend to extend this depending on availability of funding, our financial position and performance of the post-holder)
Summary of Post
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Operations and Marketing Coordinator to assist the Enterprise and Facilities Manager with the daily running, marketing and ongoing improvements of the WHALE Arts’ building and enterprise activities.
Assisting with the implementation and marketing of new and current enterprise activities to help build capacity at WHALE Arts, your role will be important to help implement plans to achieve our strategic vision set out within our 5-year Strategic Plan (view here). The role will include administrative and reception duties and is normally based at reception 2 days per week and 3 days per week in the office.
[During COVID-19 we will enable this role to be in line with current restrictions and the successful candidate who undertakes this position will be flexible to work from home, and occasionally in the building when required]
The Operations and Marketing Coordinator’s responsibilities include the gathering and monitoring of evaluation data for the organisation, coordinating and implementing marketing strategies and assisting with enterprise activities. You will liaise with contractors to ensure the upkeep and improvement of the building where required, and carry out daily and weekly facilities checks in line with health and safety.
To be successful as an Operations and Marketing Coordinator you should be a good problem solver, have a can-do attitude and a firm grasp and understanding of marketing. Ultimately, an outstanding Operations and Marketing Coordinator should be able to ensure the smooth daily operations of our building and reception function, room bookings, assisting with new online and offline enterprise activities including events, and implementing marketing campaigns set out by their line manager.
Operations and Marketing Coordinator Responsibilities:
Assisting with and coordinating daily operational activities working closely with the Enterprise and Facilities Manager including:
- Ensure room booking enquiries are answered promptly and carry out bookings using our new online system
- Liaising with current and potential new contractors to ensure the smooth running of facilities and help reduce costs
- Work closely with the management team to ensure quantitative and qualitative data is collected and collated for our programme and events monitoring and reporting, using our new Salesforce database and spreadsheets
- Attend and assist with the set-up of room bookings, events and activities at WHALE Arts where required
- Help support, train and supervise Front of House staff and volunteers where required.
Assisting with implementation of marketing campaigns and activities working closely with the Enterprise and Facilities Manager including:
- Assist with marketing campaigns and enterprise activities, including promotions and generating new leads for current and new enterprise activities to increase revenue
- Produce appropriate digital and print media in line with marketing strategy campaigns for distribution at reception and beyond
- Ability to utilise social media channels to proactively engage with current audiences (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), respond to enquiries and suggest improvements to management team where identified
- Updating the WordPress website regularly with news, events and proactively liaising with other teams and partners to ensure good levels of engagement
- Creating regular communications with participants and key stakeholders including: monthly Mailchimp email-outs, postal mail-outs, SMS text (Clicksend) and occasionally by phone.
Administrative, Reception and other
- Performing general administrative tasks, such as ordering stationery, making travel arrangements, answering phones, franking mail, printing, scheduling meetings and data input.
- Performing receptionist tasks such as answering general enquiries via communication channels from our participants, tenants and other stakeholders to deliver excellent service
- Assisting with the move to Salesforce using our Excel database, working closely with your line manager
- Provide additional cover for staff based at reception when required.
Operations and Marketing Coordinator – Essential Requirements:
Undergraduate degree in either Marketing/Communications, Events/Arts Management or equivalent work experience
Previous experience of working closely with management for smooth daily facilities and building operations.
Previous experience in marketing or communications
Experience of multi-tasking and prioritising work in a busy environment.
Excellent communication and people skills.
Excellent organisational and time management skills.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word and Excel.
Good team player with strong problem-solving skills.
Knowledge of community-led arts organisations.
Basic design or media skills using software such as Canva.
Kind, empathetic and understanding manner towards staff, volunteers, tenants, participants and a variety of other stakeholders.
Previous experience of generating digital marketing leads/sales.
Previous experience of working in an arts charity/organisation or similar.
Previous experience of assisting with the setting up of a database, such as Salesforce or similar.
Advanced design skills and ability to use software such as Adobe packages.
Awareness of current charity legislations including GDPR, child and adult protection, and Health and Safety acts.
Current PVG would be desirable but not essential.
Apply in writing or by email, enclosing/attaching:
- An up to date CV detailing relevant education and employment experience. No longer than two pages.
- A covering letter demonstrating how your skills meet the Essential and Desirable Skills criteria of the job description. No longer than two pages.
- Details of two referees, including your most recent employer
We are accepting applications until 9am, 1st June. Candidates selected by the panel for interview will be invited shortly after the closing date to interview which will be held. We anticipate that this will be via Zoom and will be confirmed closer to the interview week on week commencing 8th June .
The successful candidate will be appointed to the role subject to confirmation of PVG Scheme Membership.
If you have any questions about the role please contact Laura Delahunt, Enterprise and Facilities Manager, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 0131 4583267.
Enterprise and Facilities Manager
WHALE Arts Centre,
30 Westburn Grove,
0131 458 3267
About WHALE Arts
Since being set up by local people in 1992 WHALE Arts has firmly established itself as the cultural anchor organisation for Wester Hailes. As a community-led arts charity and social enterprise, WHALE Arts’ mission is to be the creative heart of a vibrant, thriving community.
WHALE acts as a conduit between our community and creative opportunities through the direct delivery of projects, programmes and events and by connecting our community with city and national cultural partners.
We are based in the purpose built WHALE Arts Centre a unique community asset that provides a range of high quality creative spaces for our community. WHALE Arts operates as a social enterprise allowing us to generate income that supports our charitable work.