WHALE Arts – Receptionist Administrator
35 hours per week
We are looking for a positive, self-motivated, organised and enthusiastic person with excellent communication and customer service skills to join our team.
This is a key role within the organisation and first point of contact for visitors and participants to WHALE Arts Centre. You will need to be good with people, have first-rate organisational and office administration experience and engaging social media skills.
Main Activities and Key Responsibilities
• To be the first point of contact for in person and telephone enquiries for WHALE Arts Agency and tenants.
• Provide information regarding WHALE services and projects to enquirers.
• Manage central sign in system and sign in monitoring database.
• Operate the telephone exchange and staff message system
• Support the development of the WHALE Arts website including content management.
• Update WHALE Arts’ social media channels.
• Manage WHALE Arts Centre Room Bookings and Venue Hire Calendar.
• Manage incoming and outgoing postal system and info@whale arts e-mail account.
• Support the WHALE Director to ensure health and safety of WHALE Arts Centre users including operating the entry system, drawing attention to hazards, and evacuation in the event of fire.
• Responsible for WHALE administration tasks including mail outs, sign up, communication with participants, completing registers for projects, postage and photocopying records, and staff timesheets.
• Attend and take minutes at WHALE team meetings.
• Update central WHALE registration system and registration database.
• Provide photocopying, franking, laminating and other services for tenants and staff.
• Maintain an electronic finance record of postage and photocopying.
• Complete petty cash and banking procedures.
• Provide service for internal and external room bookings including room set-up/clean up, hospitality, access to rooms, signage and a weekly room planner.
• Enable users to access resources and rooms and monitor lending and return of keys and equipment.
• Assist with identifying any building issues requiring attention and action/ source quotes to address these.
• Submit monthly utilities readings.
• Coordinate annual PAT testing visit.
• Arrange contracted maintenance visits (including Lift, Heating, Alarm, Fire Safety, Theatre License)
• Update the building inventory
• To be a key holder, regularly opening and securing the building – including out of office hours on occasion.
• To comply with relevant WHALE Arts Agency policies.
• To undertake any relevant training in relation to the post.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may, from time-to-time, be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
• Excellent customer service skills including telephone skills, dealing with in person enquiries, assisting people with additional needs and dealing with challenging behaviour.
• Displays in-depth knowledge, understanding and demonstrable skills in managing/curating social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook and photosharing.
• Operating office equipment especially photocopier, franking machine, laminator.
• Competent with Microsoft Office programmes especially Word and Excel, e-mailing and internet.
• Ability to create and manage computer database systems.
• Ability to create and manage paper filing systems.
• High standard of written and spoken English.
• Basic understanding of Health and Safety issues in community spaces.
• Ability to work in a team and also self-motivate without supervision.
• Excellent timekeeping.
• Excellent communication and people skills.
• Knowledge of local area, community and services.
• Experience of working in a community organisation.
• Experience of dealing with trades/contractors.
Apply in writing or by email, enclosing/attaching:
• An up to date CV detailing relevant education and employment experience.
• A covering letter demonstrating how your skills meet the Essential and Desirable Skills criteria of the job description.
• Details of two referees, including at least one previous employer.
Applications should arrive at WHALE Arts Agency no later than 12:00 (midday) on Monday 8th January 2018. Late applications will not be considered.
The successful candidate will be appointed to the role subject to confirmation of PVG Scheme Membership.
Kate Griffin, Learning and Participation Manager
30 Westburn Grove,
0131 458 3267